It’s July 2018! So much has happened this year that I don’t even know where to start.
This year has made the biggest impact on my life. I have been the happiest I’ve ever been, the saddest I’ve ever been; it has been an emotional, physical and mental rollercoaster.
Today is just one of those days.
One of those days I question what I’m doing in life, where my place is, what should I be doing, what do I want, how do I feel...
I am always questioning, what should I do next, what can be better, how can I be a better person, if not for anyone then for myself. How can I live life to the fullest?
Amidst all these questions and non-stop thoughts of self-reflection, these are some things I’ve learnt recently.
1. Many things are just mental blocks even though they are physically possible.
Like what? Like bringing a young infant out alone, like embarking on a new campaign, like trying out something new. Once we realise that the biggest block is really in our heads, anything is possible.
2. Babies teach life lessons.
Yea, my baby taught me the first one above. Babies are the purest form of humanity. They are curious, they love you unconditionally, they want to be loved, they want attention. As we grow up, there are too many distractions in the world that make it hard for us to express what we truly want, even though we can talk and babies can’t.
3. Let it go
I’m a working mother of one. I’m also a wife, a daughter, and a woman. How can I be so many at once if I don’t let go? E.g. If I get my husband’s help with a chore. It might not be done the way I like it, but I let it go. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Life is not worth nit-picking.
4. Sometimes, emotions are choices
Why sometimes? Because sometimes you can’t help yourself but feel a certain way. And because we are human beings, we are allowed to feel that way. But life is short, sometimes we don’t get second chances with our loved ones. Is it worth feeling upset or angry over a lost game, a quarrel, a pitch gone wrong, when we could just put everything aside to feel happy with the ones we love? And this brings me to my last point.
5. 5 minutes more...
Your mom calls you to dinner. “5 mins more!” you say, because you need to complete that last sentence of a report, or the Korean drama is ending. What if we had 5 mins more to spend with the people we love? Life is short, don’t live with regrets. Be deliberate and intentional about your emotions. And spend that 5 minutes more wisely.
I’ve learnt a lot this year... and I hope I will always keep these lessons close to my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment