I have been on a little blogging spree lately, mostly because all my heavy assignments have been completed except for one due in 4 days and then after that it's exams!
So here was my trip to Amsterdam where Sam and I were continuing up north Europe on our way to Iceland. Sadly, we didn't take any pictures of the red light district, because I think it wasn't allowed? I can't remember. Anyway, I just remember that the paths were really narrow, packed with curious people who just wanted to gawk at the girls and I was feeling nauseous from smelling so much weed. It was awful.
Despite saying this, I did enjoy Amsterdam because we got to cycle around the park opposite our place and have fun. On the last day, we met up with Mum's best friend and her husband and they took us out to nice touristy places with awesome seafood to eat. So yummy!
In the tram
The view across our bnb.
We had Thai/ Chinese takeaway on our first day because we were so exhausted from missing all the trains (that I mentioned in my Belgium post). After we got on a later train than we planned, the train broke down in Rotterdam and we had to wait for another train to Amsterdam. Finally when we reached the central station, we had to take a tram to our apartment. What should have taken us just 3 hours, took us about half a day and we were so exhausted and hungry by the time we settled down.
Wanton soup
Fried rice
Vondelpark, 7 minute walk from where we stayed
Sam and I rented bikes to cycle downtown because we wanted to experience cycling in a cycling city!
I'm thankful that I learnt how to ride a bike since young because it wasn't easy riding with the bicycle traffic in Amsterdam. Cyclists would overtake you on your left and on your right as well, and if you are unlucky, they do it at the same time. What's worst? Trying not to cycle on pedestrian lanes and trying to understand the correct lane to turn into especially coming from a country where we drive on the left. But it was worth the experience! (:
Yes, I was video taking Sam while cycling in Vondelpark and he was taking pictures of me instead! Haha! I tried this when we were on the main road and a cyclist shouted at me because he almost hit me (while overtaking me of course). Lesson learnt.
On our last day, just before our evening flight, we met up with Aunty Lillian and Uncle Ben and they drove us to many places we wouldn't have seen if not for a car!
Zaanse Schans
Chocolate windmills
Holland clogs
They were selling them in the factory but they were too uncomfortable to wear!
This will certainly protect you if a hammer drops on your feet!
One of my favourite designs
Baa baa the black sheep. :D
Vollendam fishing village
Mini pancakes! They were so yummy! We tried the one flavoured with butter and alcohol I think. We couldn't taste the alcohol but it was sweet and so delicious!
Raw herring. Too many bones for my liking but still, not bad because it was so fresh!
Kibbeling - fried fish. This was awesome!
I miss eating home-cooked fried fish that my mum always makes.
Reached the cheese factory just in time for a demonstration.
Tried out some different cheeses afterwards and I liked it.
More food - how can we forget mussels! They weren't as tasty as the ones we had in Belgium though.
Smoked eel sandwich.
I wouldn't pick this any day because I don't like eating all the tiny bones that eel has but this was boneless!
After our extremely filling lunch, we took a stroll down Zandvoort and there were many pretty sand sculptures on display.
This was one made by a dutch.
We had dinner along the beach and Sam and I shared this steak with salmon.
This is why Sam and I can lose weight on exchange! Hehe.
And that's how we were off to Norway!





























No comments:
Post a Comment