Pages

Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Post exams

Tuesday, 29 April 2014
I went prawning with Sam yesterday. I wanted to go out and do something different for a change because I was bored. I think its been more than a year since I last went prawning and I've lost all my courage in picking up the prawn and getting the hook out, not to mention skewing them from the mouth to the gut afterwards while they were still alive. I apologise for the vivid description, but those thoughts were exactly what went through my head yesterday. And yes, it did creep me out.


Anyway, we caught a total of 14 prawns in 3 hours of prawning and we BBQ-ed them after. It was pretty late by the time we were done so we decided to head home.

Since we're on the topic of food, Sam asked me to cook dinner with him on Thursday since it's a public holiday! We're going to do really simple dishes like the ones we cooked in Iceland. I went to browse some of our dishes for inspiration and here are some of my favourites. Note: Of the 6 of us in our Asian house, none of us has ever cooked before this exchange. Heh. Prior to the trip, I only learnt how to cook vegetables.

Broccoli with shrimp, mushroom and garlic. Somehow, this was Sam's favourite when I decided to cook this for supper one day when he came over to my place. He's a garlic lover so I guess that's how I won his heart. Hahaha. 

Steamed fish. Nothing much but because Sam loves fish and because fish is cheap is Iceland is probably why it was always on the table. I think we could get some fresh cod fish for Thursday! :D

Goreng Pisang! This one was fried by Sam and Kyung Eun so I don't have the recipe but these bananas were really really awesome. 

Mussels! I cooked this with Sam and it was pretty easy, also because the mussels were pretty fresh! There were only 2-3 main ingredients in the pot but I only remember adding celery because I hate celery, ever since they served it to us for the 'O' levels Biology practical (which I mutilated after finishing the paper hahaha). Anyway I was happy that these mussels turned out good and there wasn't too much of a distinct celery taste when I ate it. (:

Okay. Honestly, eggs are one of the more expensive items on our grocery list. With a dozen eggs, we could buy I think maybe 700g of minced meat in Iceland? I'm not an egg lover so I'm definitely for minced meat over eggs but everyone in the house except me loves it so... it's a staple on the table. I think this egg roll was made up of 7-8 eggs. Imagine our faces when we saw the egg tray deplete so fast - it was scary considering we only visit the supermarket once a week to stock up.

Last but not least, we have chicken! After trying different parts of the chicken, I think we stuck to buying chicken fillet because it was easy to handle and tender too. This was chicken with spring onion and ginger, a very simple dish. 

Okay, so if you're unimpressed, don't say I didn't warn you. :P Going to have brunch with Liv tomorrow. Good night everyone! :D

P.S. I'm currently addicted to "My love from another star". I haven't reached the end yet but I think I will do a marathon tonight. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Caught, Blue-handed. © 2014