Anyway, because I'm too burnt out to continue mugging for my test tomorrow, I decided to dig up some old pictures of my travels in August, continuing from my previous post of travelling in Germany. Here's much of the beautiful Belgium that we visited. We had day trips to Ghent and Brugge and it was so very worth it.
Leaving the Cologne Cathedral as we walked to the main train station.
In Ghent/ Brugge
The Marriott
Sam and I took a boat tour and we saw the beautiful buildings of Ghent, including a narration of them by the boatman.
This is something I would recommend anyone to do!
I can't remember the story behind this angel with a gas mask.
90 mussels we shared.
We made it a point that wherever we went, we would ask a local about the best places to eat.
So this was one of them!
Back in Brussels at Grand Place to find this little guy.
Not many people know but they actually created a girlfriend for Mannekin Pis and her name is Jeanneke Pis. She is so hidden at the back of an alley just beside a bar that we had to ask for directions countless times just to get there.
Also, we are always on the lookout for cheap meals and we make it a point to share every meal.
This was $12 Mussels! (:
The Atomium. Pretty much a waste of time if you enter. Don't enter, just take pictures from outside. (:
The Mini Europe theme park that we could see from the top of the atomium.
Among all the structures, buildings, places and events they recreated on a miniature scale, I'm most fascinated by how much detail they give to every single tiny person in the park.
Arc De Triomphe of France
Visited the Chocolate Museum in Grand Place. It was interesting to see how they made chocolate but I kind of expected more. This is also not a fantastic place to buy chocolates. It is better to look for chocolate shops along the streets.
They did have some chocolate statues like the chocolate Mannekin Pis and some chocolate dresses and hats but I think that pretty much sums up everything in there.
When we got to Antwerp, the train station felt so majestic. It's a century old! Such an old beauty.
We only had 1 day in Antwerp and so we didn't venture out much.
We went to this super long tunnel that stretched far below a river to the other side of Belgium. It took too long to walk so we decided not to cross. There wasn't anything on the other side anyway.
Wooden escalators
There you have it.
Something we really enjoyed about Belgium was the food. Belgian food was the most palatable of all the food we've tried on our trip. I think maybe we are just more used to the taste of it as Singaporeans.
This restaurant was recommended to us by our Airbnb hosts. I would recommend it to anyone!
Tavern restaurant
We had Flemish beef stew if I'm not wrong. It came with apple sauce and it was so delicious!
This was us leaving Antwerp the next morning.
Our Airbnb hosts prepared a breakfast feast for all their guests! What a spread!
That morning, as the hosts were going out, they decided to walk with us to the train station. When we reached the train station, we realised that we had missed our train. We wanted to take a later one but couldn't because someone jumped down to the tracks and the trip was cancelled. Then, I realised that I had left my jacket in the house containing our train tickets. Timur ran all the way back (about 15mins) to get it for me. Since the next train was not coming for another hour or so, they treated us to some ice cream at Mcdonald's! Pity we only stayed one day with them. I would loveeeeee to go back there someday.
If you are heading to Belgium, please do visit Antwerp, and if you do visit Antwerp, please stay with Timur and Sonja. They are the best Airbnb hosts I've ever had. <3
Okay, sadly my time is up and I have to head back to the books. I shall update when I have time again soon! (:

































No comments:
Post a Comment